Welcome to my study, fellow novelty-chasers, outcasts, overthinkers, generalists, DIYers, autists, queerlings, internet hermits, poets, unwittingly pretentious nerds, and exhausted lovers of the world. Take a look around. Any poorly-categorized content is due to the innate difficulty of categorizing the infinite plurality of experience.
If you're just here for the poems, you can probably find all you need on my poetry blog over on tumblr and/or on my publisher's page for my chapbook. There may be more here in the future, and you're welcome to check the rest of the site out in the meantime.
What to Expect on this Site
This site features:
- Small animations (GIFs and CSS)
- Google fonts (rehosting them is on the to-do list)
- Links to the corporate/social internet
- Many in-progress pages
- Sporadic cursing
- Unusual thoughts on death and bodies
- PG or educational allusions to sex
- All sorts of other strong opinions
Aside from the about page, I've roughly broken everything down into one of three buckets you can see in the nav bar at the top of the page:
- Essays, which are pieces I've written meditating on a specific topic with the goal of finding some conclusion or thesis statement. They mostly reflect my own thinking out loud, in a community, with the goal of arbitrarily chunking off some piece of the world and looking at it closely. They usually contain many links to the places that spawned the thoughts, but the links are not the focus.
- Compendia, which are more like annotated bibliographies (webliographies?). Lists of resources related to a given topic. As we progress through the current wave of enshittifying, increasingly locked-down aggregation hubs, this may start to be more and more archival.
- Metaphorica, which are more creatively-driven works that do not attempt to capture the state of our world as it is. These deal in metaphor, and are more akin to what you might typically think of as art.
Quote of the :
You are going to be alive tomorrow. You aren't going out in a blaze of glory. People are suffering, get your fucking shit together!
Updated November 24, 2023:
- Updating links.
- Added the love letters to small websites page, with the first two entries. Hoping to do some fun letter formatting later.
- New poems: Temporary Tattoo and Composed. I've now officially desynced this from my poetry tumblr, even though there are some poems I haven't finished porting over. Haha. I continue to fuck around with adding links between them and have no idea if I'll ever make a proper index page for em.
- Two new recipes
- Site background (lightly tiled)
- Banner header
- Cursor animations
- Cursor variation for hovering on links
- Reader view support with article tags
- Actually check the screenreader-friendliness of headings and add navigation skip
- Updated W3 compliance check
- What if there was a jester with elbowpatches?
- Hidden poems?
- Displayed by category
- Category dividers
- Can I make it suck less on mobile?
- Would be nice if it handled too-long titles better.
- Stress-test responsiveness & browser compatibility
- Add doodles or border formatting like these cute gingham cards?
- Actually make some sort of box or container for the cards.
- Printable recipe cards?
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Chickpeas
- Beet Hummus
- Pine Nut Hummus
- World's most complicted ziti
- Roasted veggies
- Chicken Tomatillo Soup (Posolen't)
- Saag paneer
- Bread omelette
Pixel Art Gallery
- Code a view full size function for photos
- Make pixel art chart previews
- Make a separate section for backgrounds and sprites
- Make a little KPH doll for a wardrobe dress-up section
- Make tiling background for this site
Pixel Art Tools
- Input device for a basic pixel art tool
- Add debouncing or mousepath stuff to fix the pixel-skipping issue
- Default: all transparent
- Option for how transparent shows up
- Random noise default option?
- Allow import of images from my site, other websites, or the user's computer
- Option to convert to written or image knitting charts
- Can I prepopulate the existing charts I've made as links from the gallery with GET, then, or is that too much?
- Tool to check suitability for different methods? (Analyze for long floats, # of colors (per row), is there a way to check intarsia-readiness?)
- Add option for tiling preview, rather than standard
- Undo tracking
- Undo button
- Managing Max Undo History
- Fill tool
- I also want some color palate tools, but maybe they're separate.
- Option to resize canvas (going to take some doing)
- Canvas scaling sliders
- How-to guide for charting two-sided double knitting & jacquard floats
- (Once tag code is finalized) Distribute changes to Zonelets framework
- Categorical vs functional queer spaces
- Finding asexual community in polyamory
- AI Harm Reduction
- Nonbinary people are Nonbinary
- Performing as an Audience, or All Communication is Two-Way
- A proposal for a Unifying Queer Philosophy
- On the Evolution of Bad Poems
- Imagine Being All My Friends Who Were Out In Highschool
- "Ingelligence" & Being Hyperarticulate
- Who & what is capable of measuring?
- How to think about money as a metaphor
- Category games
- How is Counting different from Measuring (Response to Deborah Stone)
- What level of Bloom's Taxonomy is most of the internet at?
- Conceptualizing knowledge: the limits of "storage"
- The Anthropic Principal & The Measurement Problem
- A lazy perfectionist's cyberpunk survival guide to the technological hellscape
- The void
- Love letters to small websites
- Archiving the Typewriter Broadside
- Monospace pixel art poetry
- Typing incremental game
- Shipping chartinator
- Hyperlinked poems
- WWYFF Engine
- CSS/HTML5 rubix cube??
- Editable poems
Updated November 17, 2023:
- General formatting tweaks, trying to make the text more readable.
- Added a few quotes, reformatted the list of fashion icons.
Updated November 9, 2023:
- Added a better introduction and a bunch of quotes to the cyberpunk hellscape survival guide.
Updated October 23, 2023:
- Updated the light mode so it's more consistent and looks less grey.
Updated October 22, 2023:
- Pretty substantial updates to the navigation. Some links to my own site in the essays and in old updates might be broken, but otherwise I think I caught everything.
- Thinned out the items on the to-do list that've already been done.
- New blog post! Trying to work through some of the backlog of like 90% finished essays I've got from the past 6 months.
Updated October 18, 2023:
- Was looking at the Focus First Webring and realized I was probably a good fit other than the glitch animation I'm not even happy with here on the homepage, so updated that to actually have a static version that respects reduced-motion settings. It's also the only light mode version until I get around to redoing the animated one in a way I'm actually happy with.
- Added the code for said webring, which currently holds the placeholders.
- Other small & miscellaneous accessibility fixes since we've ostensibly got an inspector coming soon :p
- Currentizing the now page.
Updated October 16, 2023:
- Hi. I'm not dead.
- Added borscht to the recipes section.
- Bare-bones quotes page.
Updated July 18, 2023:
- Mostly building out the database of characters for my ttrpg game that meets tomorrow.
- Also posted a new blog post about egg jokes instead of finishing any of the posts I'd already started.
Updated July 13, 2023:
- Added a quote section to the front page with a fun little glitch effect to indicate that I'm making no promises about how often I'll change it. I still need to make a lightmode version, but I may make the glitch gif a little denser before I do that so it's harder to read the "text".
- Finally added something to the homepage that isn't just "under construction" and this box that nobody reads.
- Started working on a gallery function for the pixel art page, but I haven't actually ported any of it over yet. Just testing stuff in jsfiddle.
- Sketched out a jester for either the banner or just this intro page. Feeling pretty inspired by invisibleink.
Updated July 12, 2023:
- Added some basic linear interpolation to the Pixel art tool I've been messing around with, based on this algorithm, but a bit messier. Apparently the best way to do it is actually with bitwise operations but I didn't feel like that today. Turns out my event listener is actually not the bottleneck--it's the mouse resolution! So hopefully this should be a bit kinder even to shitty mouses like mine, now.
Updated July 6, 2023:
- Adjusted the simplified version of the recipes page to use <details> tags so I could take out all of the onclick event listeners, then realized I could add a secret hidden static HTML generator into the fancier recipes page. Still don't have a good solution for auto-expanding when somebody direct-links to one of the containers with an #id-anchor, so let me know if there's some weird trick I'm missing there. It also might be possible to take the JS out of the fancier one but I already need to figure out what the default button formatting is to fix some stuff so I'm not up for it today.
- Added a Now page, and I'm extremely happy with the clever CSS but less happy with the actual content of the page for now. I'm notoriously bad at prioritizing, reflecting, and long-term thinking about my own life, so I guess sitting down to make a webpage about it isn't any sort of silver bullet. Still, something interesting to build on eventually, perhaps.
- Went through and turned most of the major <div>s that structure the pages into more appropriate <nav>, <main>, <aside>, <footer>, etc tags with appropriate roles. I'm pretty happy with it for now--if you use a screenreader and you notice any weirdness, please let me know!
- Quick blog about some interesting readings I turned up while looking into whether meta tags serve any real human function on an indie webpage.
Updated June 23, 2023:
- Wrote an almost memoir-y post about fashion communities.
- Updated the pixel art gallery page so all of the files are hosted locally and it doesn't take forever to load anymore.
- Various small quality-of-life tweaks to the blog tag formatting.
Updated June 14, 2023:
- Playing matchmaker for lonely parentheses.
- Redid the website navigation to be more in line with the Zonelets style rather than making 2 HTTP requests for every page.
- I really have no idea how to design a good-looking light mode but my site now has one! And it's probably not terrible! You can view it by toggling your browser or operating system settings to light mode--if you have no preference, dark mode is still the default. :) Thanks @owlsroost!
Updated June 12, 2023:
- Futzing with the formatting of this box. Trying out putting the most recent update at the top.
- I just want everyone to know about contendeditable. The poetic possibilities!!
- Recipe textboxes are now lined, and I'm setting up for the category system I want to use.
- Surprise extra blog about virtual reality and accessibility.
Updated June 11, 2023:
- New blog post about how weird the definition of sexual attraction is that we seem to have settled on.
- Added a simple tagging system to the blog. You can preview the things I'm talking about on the post archive page.
- Homegrown potato.
Updated May 31, 2023:
- Went a little overboard with an idea I had for the recipes section.
- There's a separate mobile-friendly archive of the way I originally had the recipes, now.
- Minor quality-of-life stuff for viewing the site on mobile.
- Set up the to-do list code! Big fan of the new CSS draft that allows arbitrary unicode characters to be used as bullet points in lists. Seems way better than using images. May still make some pixel-bullets that match the color scheme of the site, but it's good to have a meaningful non-image fallback.
Updated May 30, 2023:
- Minimal formatting for the recipe section.
- Added a bunch of pie in the sky off-the-cuff thoughts to the to-dos above.
Updated May 29, 2023:
- Designed this cool box for the site updates!
- Posted a new essay.
- Added the recipes section to the header, even though the formatting isn't done.
- Added black bean soup, black beans, lentil soup, and soy eggs to the recipe section.
- Added my full actual to-do list here and started keeping this dated record of major site changes.
- Fixed the ordering of my blog posts to actually be chronological--didn't realize Zonelets cared about the order in the array, I thought that's why the date formatting had to be so specific. >.<
- Added one more FO picture to the knitting gallery in the pixel art section.